Benn, Carl; Bryant, Giles; Cooke, William; Friesen, Paul H.; Hayes, Alan; McIntire, C. Thomas; Morris, Shirley.
Title THE PARISH AND CATHEDRAL OF ST JAMES', TORONTO, 1797-1997: A COLLABORATIVE HISTORY.
Publisher St James' Cathedral / Toronto University Press, Toronto, 1998.
Seller ID 21715
326 pp, 4to (11 1/4" H), hard cover in dust jacket. ISBN 0802047149 B&w and colour photographs, b&w drawings, plans, elevations. "St James' Cathedral can justly be called the Mother Church of the city of Toronto as well as of the Anglican diocese centred there. Its congregation perpetuates one that began worshipping in Lieutenant-Governor Simcoe's tent at the very founding of the town of York in 1793. Its grounds were set aside for a place of worship in 1797, and the wooden church tha t o p ened there ten years later was the first to be built in the town. Four successive Anglican churches have stood on this site, which is now in the heart of downtown Toronto. This history, commissioned as part of St James' 200th-anniversary ce le b ra ti ons in 1996-7, represents a collaboration by seven respected amateur and professional historians. It is lavishly illustrated with over one hundred pictures from the cathedral's own archives and the holdings of other institutions, as well as e igh t p ages of specially commissioned colour plates. Alongside a general history of the church as both parish and cathedral and its ministry to the community through two centuries, there are chapters specially treating the architecture of t he s ucc essi ve b uildings and the development of St James' renowned music and liturgy. This book will appeal not only to students of religious, cultural, and architectural history but to all who take an interest in Toronto's heritage, and Canada' s." F our page leaves with tiny crease at top corner. Dust jacket has very light wrinkling at top/bottom of spine and flap-folds. Near Fine/Very Goo d+